Saturday, September 29, 2007

Today I met a leprechaun
September 25, 2007



I have been looking for some different places to take some French classes. I had been told about the FLC by my daughters teacher. I made a phone call and they told me to come by that evening between 6 and 8. When I arrived I thought it would be like all classes that you register for, tables with sign up sheets and people to tell you what class you would need. I saw none of this. There was a small office just when I walked in and so I asked the woman about the class and she directed me upstairs 2 floors. When I reached the second floor there was a very small room with 5 people huddled around a little table. One woman saw me and told me she was the one I talked to on the phone. They told me to sit down and one of the women, who they had designated as the English speaker, looked right at me with a stern look and said, "What is your intention?" I told them I was just interested in their French class. They told me that this was an exchange program therefore the class would be free, but what did I have to offer? I told them at home I cooked a lot, but here it was a different story, the man sitting next to me dressed from head to toe in bright green said, "You could offer Irish cooking" I tried not to laugh out loud. I asked them if they had an Irish cooking class.

Before I left I had been invited to their dinner group which meets every three months, the next one on October 9. The youngest one in the room besides me was probably 65. Of course I have to go and find out what this is all about. Maybe I can take my camera and get a photo of my new
friends.

No comments: