Monday, February 9, 2009

The top 5 questions since we've been home

Many people have asked us a lot about our life in France, For my benefit I am going to log a few of them.

#1 How was it? It was awesome! It was the best growing, learning experience we have ever had. The things we saw and learned there will be memories we talk about forever.

#2 Was it hard? YES- it was very hard and for the first 3 months I wondered what I was thinking and I must be the worst mother in the world to make my children endure this, but as time progressed it got easier and we were able to face each new challenge head on with our heads up. The children cried a lot about going to school but I knew it a success when they were crying the last day of school because it was over.
When I say hard, our life in America is just convenient, for instance: the grocery stores are open 24 hours and you can pull up and park right in front of them for free. Not the case in France, there are a few that don't shut down in the middle of the day, but 8p.m. is the latest and you need a lot of change for parking. Everything in France just takes a little more effort, a little more planning and a little more time. Once you adjust it's not that big of a deal, it just reminds you how easy we do have it in the USA.

#3 Did the children learn French? Yes they did. Many people told us that within a few months they would be fluent- if you are planning to do something similar to this prepare yourselves that it takes a little longer than that, more like 5-6 months. At that point they could understand almost everything and say nearly everything they needed to.
It was complete immersion for them, so I guess after sitting in a classroom for 6 hours each day it eventually sunk it. They were so happy when they could communicate with their friends and teachers.

#4 What will you miss the most? This is very difficult question to answer because I cannot narrow it down to just one thing. We will miss many things such as: The food, fresh baguettes and pain au chocolate, our dear friends, everyone was so kind and helpful, and all the family time we had together- that was priceless.

#5 Would you do it again? YES in a minute. If Mark gave me the word I could have us packed and ready to go in 24 hours.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

#6 When will you leave?
#7 Can the Millers join you?
#8 Did you shop a lot?

Ohhhh, that is sooo fun. You are sooo fun and adventurous. I would love...love...love to do that.You actually gave me an idea and an inpiration or motivation to do such fun things.

heat said...

I know this is pretty random but I was searching for pictures of France and came across your blog. As I was looking through places you had visited I realized we were at the same church house in Nice the same Sunday. Our husbands met.
We (my husband, 2 yr old boy, and I) spent a semester abroad in Poitiers, France. We also loved our experience abroad and loved traveling to so many new places.
I admire you and your family. Way to go for making it happen.

Alisa said...

I think it is so incredibly fantastic that you guys did this. Your family is forever changed from this; I've always believed (if one can pull it off) travel is the ultimate form of learning! And from what I do know about you Tifiny I have no doubt in my mind that you'll be packed in ready in 24 hrs for your next one (;