Saturday, January 5, 2008

Bucharest Day 6- Bonne Année - Happy New Year

This was the beautiful sight we awoke to on New Years Eve Day.










We could hear all this noise outside, it sounded like gun shots at first, then we thought it might be firecrackers. We ran to the window to see these groups dressed in traditional Romanian gear. They would stand in front of the different apartments and shout these chants,we did not know what they were saying, but then they would crack their long whips. When there was 4 or 5 at a time it really sounded cool and just like firecrackers. They do it several times and in between you are supposed to throw them money (of course). Mark was so excited when he learned we had thrown them a 10 euro, in my defense it was all we had-well not really we had attempted to throw them a 5 euro but it landed on the balcony below us. Needless to say I think we made their day when they got it.

We later learned they are gypsies who come to get rid of all the evil spirits for the New Year. So I guess we are good to go for 2008.
You'll be happy to know I rescued my 5 euro, I got a broom handle and tied some twine to it and then attached a piece of paper with some tape, then I put two pieces of chewed gum for weight and applied lots of glue to the other side. I lowered it down and it landed right on the 5 euro. I began pulling it up with much excitement and it hits the corner of the building and blew off my paper. I thought I could run down and retrieve it, but no- It had landed on the air conditioning unit. So another contraption. This time my same broom handle and twine but now a hanger attached to the end so I could swing it over to the air conditioning unit and knock it off. It took me several tries but I did it! Annie was down in the parking lot waiting to catch it which she did as soon as it floated down. It was quite an exciting rescue.
I know what you are all thinking and YES I did try knocking on the door of the people below us first, but they did not answer, however when he saw a hanger swinging back and forth from his balcony he stepped out to see what in the world was going on. I gave him an all American HOWDY!












At the church for some New Year Eve's excitement. Mark playing ping pong with one of the missionaries and the ladies doing what they do best, preparing food.














Sophie was having a great time with a huge whiteboard. She drew a beautiful princess and prince.
















After the fun at the church we packed the kids up at about 11:30 and headed back to the apartment for the fireworks. Being on the 7th floor we figured we would have a pretty good view and we did. It was crazy. They started at about 10 to midnight and they came from everywhere. There are obviously no rules or laws as to where and when you can light fireworks because they were going off in every part of the city. I have never seen fireworks like that before, especially the bottle rockets coming from the balcony below us.















We got wild and crazy with our own sparklers. The kids were yelling at the top of their lungs if you can't tell.


What a way to ring in the New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fun! tifiny you are VERY creative! i love it! i bet that guy you said howdy was so confuzzled! happy new year!