Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Brugge, Belgium

May 3, 2008

Today we hit the road at 6:00. We wanted to meet Jared & Mark in Brugge before the day was gone so we got up tros tot. Jared had a conference up in Belgium and at the last minute, really second, Mark decided to join him-so we figured we should join them to see the beautiful sights there.
I don't know if it was the early hour or the late night or both that were the hardest on Sophie. She occasionally gets car sick and decided today would be a good day for that.
Thank goodness for a brave big sister-we could tell something was going to come up, but could not reach the bag in time and so Annie cupped her hands and caught it, but then with a sick voice of her own said, between gags "I don't think I can do this". Deena had tears in her eye either because she didn't know how to get out of the car or because all we could do was laugh.
Creating great memories huh?
Obviously it didn't last long-she's back to her happy little self again.
They call Brugge the "Venice" of France, because of the beautiful canals that adorn the town.
As we wait to board our boat for the tour of the canals, we were so happy to be blinded by the sun. The weather is so unpredictable and had given us our fair share of rain, so we were ever so grateful to need our sunglasses.
You all think we're crazy anyway so Marks newest goal is a mustache like this and this mans job-he's the guide on the boat tour.
Of all the beautiful sights to look at on the tour-this was my favorite.
He was happy for a little sunshine and a few boats to pass the time.
Up in the brush protected from the path of the hustle and bustle of tourists, were several swans guarding their grand nests full of new life.
We got to see the candy man first hand, busy at working his magic potion from the great copper pots to the huge marble slab and then mold it into small bite size candy. The kids were fascinated and wanted to know if I could do that.
The people in this picture are great, but check out the rooftops.
No, we don't know them-but I watched them for the longest time. They were just having a great time enjoying the day together and watching the people come and go. There is something to be said about sitting back and taking it in, if I've learned anything from my experience here, I hope this is something I can take home with me.
I will be adding Brugge to my list of most picturesque cities in Europe.

No comments: