Sunday, December 9, 2007

Cauchemer - Nightmare

I am sure this was not the phone call Taylor wanted to answer, nor was it the one I wanted to make. My nightmare had become reality. A flat tire, in the forest at night. Thank goodness my cell phone had coverage, it was charged and the Randall's were home.
I had taken Annie into Fontainebleau to see a play with her class and was coming home and the tire blew. I was on the back, curvy roads of the forest. The passers don't want to slow down for anything, not even flashing hazards and a car partly in the road. I was worried we were going to get killed. Figuring out how to open the hood and find the jack was not chore enough, because then we had to find the key to the security bolt on the tire. Once that was located we discovered it did not work. We struggled with it for quite a while without success, then the rain came, then the Randall's car died, then the mom of Annie's friend called to say the play was over and she was bringing the three girls home to sleep over, then all we could do was laugh!
I called another friend who is French thinking maybe he knew something about these cars that we didn't. He told us that this is why he does not drive French cars. He was so kind and helped to get my car moved down where I could park it off the road for the night. He just kept saying "I don't believe this." When I locked it the lights did not go off. (They automatically shut off when the car is locked.) We opened it back up and tried again. Pulled out the manual again, read the part about the lights and tried again. No luck. We decided to disconnect the battery-where is the battery? We could not find it. So I left my car with a flat tire, lights on and prayed no one would break the windows. "I don't believe this."
We tried to jump the Randalls car, but no luck there either.








The next morning of course the battery was dead, and the car was in the left over rain water from the night before but no broken windows. Needless to say the roadside assistant man could not get the bolt out either and he towed my car away to Fontainebleau and this was the discussion we had. (in French) "This is the wrong tool, I will take your car to my garage but I am closed today so Monday afternoon I will fix it." What can I say but "OK." Then he says "You live in Bourron Marlotte?" "Yes" "Oh, good" and he jumps into his truck and drives off. I guess he figured I was close enough I could walk. So two days later and a lot less money in my pocket I have my car back.
Oh, he did show me where the battery was- in the floor of the passenger side. "I don't believe this."
Thanks Janet and Taylor for coming to my rescue!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! sounds like quite the adventure!